Preventing Mold Damage to Your Cardiff, CA Home
Mold is a problem every Cardiff, CA homeowner faces. Mold growth causes property damage and poses a health hazard to you and your family. Fortunately, there are many steps homeowners can take to reduce the risks of mold damage.
Mold is a type of fungus that grows in filaments that give it a fuzzy appearance. There are thousands of different species of mold. Most are harmless to humans. Molds reproduce by releasing spores into the air. Mold spores are present in nearly every outdoor and indoor environment.
Mold spores can enter your home through an opening to the outdoors, such as a door or window. They can also be attached to clothing, pets, and shoes. According to the CDC, the most common indoor molds are Cladosporium, Penicillium, and Aspergillus.
How Do Molds Cause Damage?
Nutrients and moisture are the two ingredients molds need to grow.
Molds can break down almost any organic material to obtain the required nutrients. In your home, this can include paper products, wallpaper, cardboard, organic fabrics, drywall, wood, and more. They obtain their moisture from damp surfaces, condensation, leaking pipes, and other sources. Over time, mold can deteriorate the surfaces they live on, causing significant damage.
Signs That You May Have a Mold Problem
Those dark or discolored spots that have been appearing on the walls, ceilings, and other surfaces inside your home are caused by colonies of mold. Left unchecked, indoor mold growth can spread throughout your home. This can result in extensive damage to your home’s walls, ceilings, floors, carpeting, and more. Mold can damage personal property as well, including clothes, furniture, books, rugs, etc.
Mold spores can have a negative impact on indoor air quality as well. They can fill your home with a musty, unpleasant odor. This odor doesn’t just smell bad, it can also present a health risk to your and your family. Mold growth releases toxins into the air that can affect elderly people, young children, and people with asthma and other respiratory difficulties. Coughing, sneezing, and eye, nose, or throat irritation are all symptoms that may indicate that there are mold spores in the air.
Don’t Let Mold Become a Problem
It’s nearly impossible to keep mold spores out of your home. However, homeowners can take steps to restrict the risks of mold growth:
- Keep your indoor humidity levels as low as possible, preferably between 30% and 50%. Your air conditioner or a dehumidifier can help keep your indoor humidity levels within range.
- Make sure your home has suitable ventilation and circulation to help keep humidity levels down.
- Have your home’s plumbing inspected for hidden water leaks.
- If you’ve had water inside your home due to a flood or burst pipe, any water-damaged areas or items should be cleaned and dried as soon as possible to prevent mold growth.
Your First Choice for Mold Removal and Mold Damage Restoration Services in Cardiff, CA
1st Choice Plumbing, Flood & Restoration has been providing outstanding mold cleanup and mold damage restoration services to homeowners in Cardiff, CA, and surrounding communities since 2012. Our team of licensed Cardiff, CA mold damage experts possess the expertise and equipment to quickly locate the source of the mold growth, fully remove the mold from your home, repair and restore mold damage, and take steps to reduce the possibility of future mold problems.
Don’t let mold growth threaten the value of your home and the health of your family. Contact 1st Choice Plumbing, Flood & Restoration through our website or call us at 866-437-0205 to schedule a visit from an experienced Cardiff, CA home mold removal specialist.