Keeping Your Bathroom Free of Mold and Mildew
Nobody wants mold or mildew in their bathroom. Left unchecked, mold and mildew can cause significant damage to your home and create a health hazard for you and your family. Fortunately, there are many preventative measures homeowners can take to keep mold and mildew out of their bathrooms.
Mold and mildew are both types of fungi. Mold is usually darker in appearance than mildew. Both reproduce by releasing spores into the air. While these spores can sprout anywhere in your home, the warm, humid environment of your bathroom makes it an ideal location for mold and mildew growth.
Signs That Your Bathroom Has a Mold or Mildew Problem
The most effective way to keep mold and mildew out of your bathroom is to recognize the early warning signs that you have a problem:
- Visible mold or mildew growth. Mold and mildew growth starts out as dark or discolored spots appearing on the walls and other surfaces of your bathroom. The spots eventually expand to cover larger areas.
- A moldy, musty, or unpleasant odor. If you’ve been noticing an unpleasant musty, damp, or rotting wood odor in your bathroom, you may have a mold and mildew problem.
- Respiratory problems. Inhalation of mold and mildew spores can cause a number of respiratory problems, including coughing, sneezing, and eye, nose, or throat irritation. It’s especially hard on people with existing respiratory conditions like allergies or asthma.
- Water leaks. Hidden water leaks may be responsible for the mold and mildew growth you’ve been experiencing.
How to Keep Mold and Mildew Out of Your Bathroom
Here are some tips for keeping mold and mildew out of your bathroom:
- Remove any existing mold or mildew.
- Regularly clean the surfaces in your bathroom.
- Mop or wipe up any water when you see it.
- Ventilation is important to controlling moisture. Run your bathroom exhaust fan or open a window after a shower to help remove moisture from the air.
- Repair any water leaks.
- Leave the shower curtain open after you shower.
- Hang your shower sponge or washcloth up to dry, don’t leave them sitting on a shower or bathroom surface.
- Replace any cracking bathroom grout.
- Put any shower products on a soap dish or rack.
- Wash your towels, shower curtain, curtain liner, and bath mats regularly.
Your First Choice for Mold Removal and Mold Damage Restoration Services in Oceanside, CA
If you are experiencing a mold problem, give 1st Choice Plumbing, Flood & Restoration a call. We’ve been providing outstanding mold cleanup and molddamage restoration services to homeowners in Oceanside, CA, and surrounding communities since 2012. Our team of mold damage specialists possesses the experience, equipment, and training to locate and eliminate the source of your mold problem. Our six-step mold restoration process is designed to clean up and repair any damage the mold or mildew may have caused.
Contact 1st Choice Plumbing, Flood & Restoration through our website, or call us at 866-437-0205 to schedule a visit from an Oceanside, CA mold damage specialist.