How to Conserve Water While Saving Money in Oceanside CA
In drought stricken California, there are two main reasons to reduce your water use: to conserve water and save money. Our customers are always looking for ways to do both.
Water Leaks are Water Wasters
One of the best ways to conserve water is to fix any water leaks in your home. Did you know that a leak of one drip per second wastes 1,661 gallons of water in a year? Fixing a leaking pipe or fixture is one of the easiest ways to conserve water and save money on your water bills. There are other reasons as well.
Left unchecked, a water leak can cause thousands of dollars in property damage to your home. In addition, water leaks provide the perfect conditions for mold growth. The mold doesn’t just produce an unpleasant smell – it can also cause problems for children, older adults and people with asthma and respiratory ailments.
Look Out for Hidden Water Leaks
How do you know you have a water leak? Not all water leaks are visible. Here are some signs you may have a hidden water leak in your home:
- Your water bills are up, but your consumption is about the same
- Wet spots on your walls or ceiling
- You hear leaking or running water even when all your fixtures are turned off
- Pooling water
- Mold growth
- Low water pressure
- You have a permanent wet spot in the yard near the house
If you suspect you may have a hidden water leak in your Oceanside, CA home, give 1st Choice Plumbing, Flood & Restoration a call. We’ve been providing expert plumbing services to homeowners in Oceanside, CA and surrounding communities since 2012. During that time we’ve repaired over 400,000 leaks!
Change Your Habits to Save Money and Water
There are other ways to save water around the home.
For one, you can install high-efficiency toilets, aerators on bathroom faucets and water-saving showerheads or flow restrictors. This can reduce water flow to less than 1 gallon per minute. These items aren’t very expensive; a plumber can easily install any of them in your home. If your budget allows, replace older appliances and fixtures with newer, water and energy efficient models.
We can also become more conscious of our water use habits. Some small changes can result in big water savings:
- Limit your shower time. The standard showerhead uses 2.5 gallons per minute. The less time you spend in the shower, the more water you save.
- Turn off the water while you shave or brush your teeth. This can save about ten gallons a day.
- Wait until you have a full load before running the dishwasher or washing clothes.
- Don’t clean your vegetables using running water. Instead, rinse them in a sink or pan filled with water. For extra savings, when you finish cleaning your vegetables, use this water for watering your houseplants. Old (freshwater) aquarium water can be used for the same purpose.
Oceanside CA’s First Choice for Expert Plumbing Services
1st Choice Plumbing, Flood & Restoration is here to provide all your plumbing needs. We can locate and repair any water leak in your home. We also install tankless water heaters and other water saving, energy-efficient devices as well. Contact 1st Choice Plumbing, Flood & Restoration through our website, or call us at 866-437-0205 to learn how we can help you save you money and conserve water.