10 Reasons Why Your Dishwasher Isn’t Working
Most homes in Oceanside, CA, have a dishwasher unit. Dishwashers save us the time and trouble of washing and drying dishes by hand. Like any home appliance, they can develop problems that affect their operation. Here are ten of the most common dishwasher problems homeowners in Oceanside, CA experience:
- Dishes aren’t getting clean: This problem can be caused by many issues, including overloading the dishwasher, problems with the water inlet valve, clogged spray arms, or a worn-out water pump. You may also be using the wrong kind of dishwashing detergent.
- Your dishwasher is leaking. There are many reasons why your dishwasher is leaking, such as a damaged hose, faulty pump, damaged door seal, or overloading.
- Detergent not dispensing: A faulty detergent dispenser or clogged detergent compartments are two reasons why your dishwasher isn’t dispensing detergent properly.
- Dishwasher not draining: If there’s standing water in your dishwasher after a wash cycle, the problem could be a clogged drain hose, damaged pump, or damaged drain sump valve.
- Dishwasher not filling with water or won’t stop filling: This problem is usually due to a defective or damaged water inlet valve. A valve that is stuck in the closed position will inhibit the flow of water into the dishwasher; a valve stuck in the open position will continue to fill your dishwasher even after it is full.
- Foul odors coming from your dishwasher: These odors typically develop due to food particles trapped in the dishwasher’s filter, gaskets, or hard-to-reach areas, such as interior corners.
- Dishwasher won’t start: If your dishwasher won’t start or isn’t getting any power, check that the unit is correctly plugged into its power outlet. The problem may also be that the door latch isn’t secured correctly.
- Dishes aren’t getting dry: These problems can be caused by a faulty heating element, thermostat, or problems with the rinse aid dispenser.
- Dishwasher door won’t close or stay closed: When a dishwasher’s door latch mechanism isn’t working properly, your dishwasher unit may not start or could leak during operation.
- Strange noises: Strange noises coming from your dishwasher can indicate problems with the unit’s motor, pump, or spray arm.
Avoiding Dishwasher Problems
A lot of dishwasher problems can be avoided. Here are some tips to prevent dishwasher problems:
- Refrain from overloading your dishwasher.
- Reduce the risks of clogs and bad odors by scraping food from pots, plates, and silverware before placing them in the dishwasher.
- Clean the drain filter to prevent clogs and odors.
- Use the right detergent for your dishwasher.
- Use the rinse cycle.
- Check to make sure the dishwasher is properly plugged into its power source.
Dishwasher Problems in Oceanside, CA? Call 1st Choice!
If troubleshooting doesn’t solve your dishwasher problem, give 1st Choice Plumbing, Flood & Restoration a call. We’ve been providing expert plumbing services to home and business owners in the Oceanside, CA area since 2012. Our team of licensed Oceanside plumbers have the experience and equipment to tackle just about any plumbing issue – including a dishwasher that isn’t working properly. If you need a new dishwasher, we can remove the old one and properly install the new one.
Contact 1st Choice Plumbing, Flood & Restoration through our website or call us at 866-437-0205 to schedule a visit from an Oceanside, CA plumbing expert. Experiencing a plumbing emergency? If your plumbing problem can’t wait, we’re available 24/7 to fix any plumbing emergency you’re facing. In most cases, we can be on-site and at work within an hour of your call.